Valentine’s Day is coming VERY soon and we thought we ‘d offer you a few funfinds ideas and some Valentine’s Day trivia.
So how did this day come to be? At first it was a Christian recognition of martyrs named Valentine. Some time around the Middle Ages it became associated with love resulting from romantic writings by Geoffrey Chaucer, when the tradition of courtly love flourished.
Did you know that:
- More than 36 million boxes of chocolate are purchased for Valentine’s Day.
- Over $1 billion of chocolate is purchased for Valentine’s Day.
- Approximately 85% of Valentine’s Day cards are purchased by women.
- More than 1 billion Valentine’s Day cards are sent annually.
- Richard Cadbury produced the first box of chocolates for Valentine’s Day in the late 1800’s.
- Cupid was the son of Venus who was the Goddess of Love and Beauty.
- Roman myth states that roses grew when Cupid spilled a liquid he was carrying to the Gods on Mount Olympus. That liquid was allegedly nectar – the drink of the Gods.
- The red rose was the favorite flower of Venus, the Roman Goddess of Love and Beauty.
- Red roses are considered the flower of love because the color red stands for strong romantic feelings.
- The most notorious Valentine’s Day occurred in 1929 when 7 people were gunned down in an assassination attempt in Chicago. Al Capone’s gang planned to kill Bugs Moran, but he escaped. One innocent man died, but the others were members of each gang.
- Every Valentine’s Day, the Italian city of Verona, where Shakespeare’s lovers Romeo and Juliet lived, receives about 1,000 letters addressed to Juliet.
Content for this info was gathered from: funtrivia.com; she knows.com and wikipedia.
For some romantic ideas check out (Beware!! Some of these are kind of mushy!): http://www.romancestuck.com/holidays/february/valentines-day/romantic-valentines-day-ideas.htm
Here’s one that’s easy and fun:
- Create your own ‘Prescription for Love’ this Valentine’s Day! Take an old pill container and fill it with Valentine heart-shaped conversation candies. Create a label on your computer that contains the instructions: Take twice daily with a kiss
Valentine’s Day tends to be all about the woman. If you want to get something for the man in your life, try showing your love with food. After all, the way to a man’s heart is supposed to be through his stomach.
Men love sweet and salty stuff, too. Vosges is a high end, luxury chocolate that has some wonderful chocolate gift ideas.
Check out this gift basket with chocolate and bacon. What man wouldn’t go crazy for this???
You could load his e-reader with a few books and surprise him with them.
If you have some talent, you could write him a personal love poem or a song.
You can also get your significant other a gift that keeps on giving. You could enroll your sweetie in a club of the month. That way, he’ll have to think of you at least once a month. The clubs are available for such things as beer, pizza, chocolate. Here’s one for you to check out.